soory for writing in english
can any one help me to now how to learn unix
or any site to teach me
or any book to teach me
and it will be great if u told me from where i can bring the soft ware

Loner
17-07-2002, 04:32 AM
Hello

Linux is based on Unix operating system and this entire site is dedicated for Linux

Loner

engsonson
17-07-2002, 01:13 PM
as u see i am a new user

? so i can learn it
can u help me to know sites about Linux

Loner
18-07-2002, 05:43 AM
.Unix operating system was designed in the
early 1970s at the labs of AT&T

Unix was the first multi-tasking and multi-user operataing system. I t was desgined with security in mind ans was wriiten using C language.

The American phone company AT&T owns the patent for Unix. Many companies have paid money to AT&T so they can have the source code s o they can make their own versions of Unix. For example, IBM has AIX, Sun has Solaris, HP has HPUX, Silicon Graphica has IRIX.

All those versions of Unix have the same base but each companies adds its own touch. Generally speaking, these versions are not compatible!

Also, these versions run on servers and workstations not on PC.
In 1991, a computer student from Finland names Linus Torvalds wrote a Unix-like operating system that works on the PC. He called this operating system Linux ....you know...Linus+Unix

This new operating system did not use ANY code from AT&T Unix and it's convered by the GPL ...www.gnu.org... which means that anyone can see the source code of Linux.

Linux is a true product of the Internet
It's developed by programmers from all ove r the world. No one company or organization owns Linux. Linus Torvals holds the patent for Linux.

What is Linux?
It's a true multi-tasking , multi-user, operating system. It has execellent support for TCP/IP networking.

You see an operating system is not one piece
but rather it's made of many piece that fit togather to make a complete ans useful operating system.

An operating system is like a car. The most important thing in a car is the engine, but other things are alos very important.

Linux is the engine, the kernel.
The other ipmortant parts such as the compiler, assemler, and C library come form the GNU project. In additionto all of that you need applications, desktop environment (Gnome,KDE) and of course games!

So the correct name is GNU/Linux operating system not just Linux. Because Linux itself is the kernel.

Next question: what are Red Hat , mandrake, Suse, etc. These are distribution

Linux is made of many parts or components and to make a complete system you have to get the Linux kernel from (www.kernel.org) and to get the GNU tools from (www.gnu.org) and then to get the application s that you need nad finally , you have to get the desktop envionment ( Gnome or KDE). After that you have to compile all those programs and hope there will be no problems. You see, this process is VERY difficult .

So companies like Red Hat and Mandrake do all that work for you and they also add their programs to manage the system

It's a lot easier to use a distribution like Red Hat (www.redhat.com) or Suse (www.suse.com) or Mandrake
(www.mandrakelinux.com)ll

It's difficult to get a Linux distribution from the market.ll
You should post a message asking someone to give you a copy of a Linux distribution.ll
Just tell them where you live and hopefully someone will help you.ll
Peasce out.

Faisal