المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : A new member with an Important advice

McMaster
13-12-2004, 09:37 PM
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the begining and first of all , I would like to thanks all of you for this interesting usefull site... In fact, I'm really enthusiastic to join you guys.

You know... I have been visiting and reading most of the articles -posted here- for more than three months . That period was more than enough for me to come up with an anticipation of the members of this exciting site....some of them are well educated, and soem others are very active and funny, in addition to some emotional writers... With this variety, I think I will spend most of my day among you guys...but I have some comments or you can call it advices which I think it might be helpfull to everyone here...

A) It's necessary to know waht is your level in English by doing some kind of placement test were you can find it in www.englishjet.com (http://www.englishjet.com).

B) Try your best not to use English-Arabic dictionaries.. Go for English-English dictionary.

C) If you face any difficult word , don't run to the dictionary... try to figure out the meaning from the context... that will make you know and understand all the possible meaning of the new word and will stick in your mind for ever.

D) Reading is very important too.... two or three articles in the newspaper will make fluent in English.

E) Listen to the news on the radio every morning if it's possible.. don't be upset if you don't understand every thing .... the main concept is more than enough to improve your skill . By the process of time you will be able to follow what is happining around...

F) PRACTICE... Just what I'm doing now...try to use the new word ...write it down in a complete sentence so you will never forget it... use it in different way... find its secrets.

J) Don't warry about the spelling mistakes ... you wont believe this ...40% of the Americans don't know how to write dialogue.

And finally ...you - all of you - are kindly requested to participate with me and correct me if I was mistaken or you may have any other comments about this article . I would really appreciate any positive contribution ... ANY TIME.... ANY WHERE....

BEST REGARDS

bosson
13-12-2004, 10:12 PM
FIRST I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR THE USEFUL ADVICES

AND I WILL TRY TO IT ALL

SECOND I WANT TO ASK YOU...WHAT IS YOUR OPINION OF

MY ENGLISH LANGUAG ??IF YOU READ ONE OF MY TOPICS HER.

BEST WISHES

BOSSON

faros
14-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Hi brother,

you just said what I had said before, I said that all the members here need to use an english dictionry, it will help anyone to improve one's language.

Also, I asked them to try to speak formally insted of using slang too
much.

I am glad that you are with us in this great forum

Yours

Faros

Dark Zero
14-12-2004, 04:35 PM
I like option A!
Welcome my brudda!

McMaster
14-12-2004, 06:46 PM
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Brohter, Mr.Bosson ... you have just overestimated me when you ask for my opinion.... believe me ..I'm not what you think:أفكر: I'm not qualified enough to evaluate your English language.... but you can visit www.englishjet.com (http://www.englishjet.com) and click on TEST . There, you will be asked to choose a level to start with... but you would better go for level one and go on for an accurate result. If you pass, you will be asked to move to the next level till you find your self unable to deal with the question:17: then you will know exactlly how is your English language. But as long as you asked me as a friend , I would say that you have been doing well , but it should not be enough for you ...I know you can do better .. learn more words and use them . Try to write short story and post it here so we can have a discussion about it... However, it has always been my dream to have such a friend like you .. :biggthump:biggthump keep on touch...

McMaster
14-12-2004, 07:11 PM
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

My brother faros.... I'ts really nice to have a friend who share your ideas...THANKS ALOT....about the slang or better to call it the colloquial lnaguage ... I think it can be spoken only because it's the vulgar language in the street ( I DO NOT MEAN THE DIRTY OR THE OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE THAT THE DREGS USE)...but most of the American native don't use the formal lnaguage on their conversation... so what do you think..;) ;)

faros
14-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi brother,

All American native speakers- who are studying in a big university such as Harvard or Yeale- speak formal English.

We do not want to speak as those who are in the streets do , even if they are native speakers.

Yours

Faros

McMaster
14-12-2004, 10:39 PM
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Dear, Dark zero...you may like the A option , but there are many other ways to improve your skill at reading,writing,listening and finally speaking.... Believe me ...to be a talent writer or a fluent speaker you first, must know how to be a good listener... Ten years ago , my teacher told me how to teach my self, how to depend on my own to study and develop my English language.. You know what did he say to me... He said " My son, hark to the native speaker..and then write down the new words that you don't understand, ask for the meaning and use them as possible as you can...If you did well in this step you will know how to form almost any sentence correctly. Consequently, you will find your self able to speak fluently. Now you are ready to write whatever you want....perhaps a letter to your friend -me- ;) or a short story..!!! or you can write a report to your boss:biggrin: :biggrin:

Hope I was helpful ....best wishes

McMaster
14-12-2004, 11:16 PM
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Dear brother Faros, I really appreciate your quick response and i totally agree with you that we both don't want to speak like thoes in the street as i earlier mentioned in my reply #6 ..but I'm pretty sure that you know the language that they are using in the schools and universities .. they call it "educational language" ro " teacher language" ..some words can't be use in the street.. I mean there are some kind of scientifc terms which can be use only for a specific meaning...English is a simple,easy language...most people use English to communicate,express their feeling and explain their porblems clearly... I think , they don't want to do it the hard way....

what do you think??

faros
14-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Dear brother,

If we want to express our feelings simply, we can use informal english. Yet, informal english is completely different from slang.

why should we use slang? there is no point of using it.

each one of us his porpous to learn english is to apply to an American or Candaian university(at lease this what I think)

so we should use formal english or(the acadamic english) in order to be familir with it

YOURS

Faros

bosson
15-12-2004, 07:42 AM
brother McMaster

i want to thank you and thank you then thank you

an want to tell you that its my honour to be your friend

i will try to write a short story...although am bad in write

storys :)

sea you soon

bosson

faros
15-12-2004, 08:41 AM
Dear Bosson,

it is a good notion to start thinking about improving your writing. It will help you sooner or later.

By the way, you should have written (in writing stories) insted of (in write stories)

Yours

Faros

Another_One
15-12-2004, 10:09 AM
In the name of Allah

Dear brother McMaster

first of all i wanna say

welcome in this forum

and it is our pleasure to have a member like u

i really mean it .....thank u for all ur advice

but I have some comments or you can call it advices

i wanna tell u one thing that u can't do it again

advice singular = advice plural

;) hope we are equal now

see you and have a nice time

McMaster
15-12-2004, 05:05 PM
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Brother faros, I comletely agree whith you that the informal language is quite different form the slang... we both have no problem admitting that. But in my humble opinion and from my experience in working with foreigners, people use formal language in writing, business,news, political speeches and lectures ETC ... where they , definitely, can't use the informal lnaguage. But on the other side ,you can't find anyone use this formal language in his ordinary life or with his friends :) .. I might be wrong but this is what I think... and believe me I really do respect your attitude ... I know you want us to strat learning English with an academic methods...sure my friend... give me your hand and let's bring this forum up to the stars ..

One more thing... I really admire your kindness, politenss and your way of discussion... you're so calm and tranquil and most of the people lose these two characters when they're discussing a hot subject especially when they have different attitudes...

REGARDS,

McMaster
15-12-2004, 05:18 PM
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

My freind, Bosson... The honour is mine to have such a friend like you...and we are here to help and support each other for a better English . You are welcomed anytime, anywhere:أفكر::) by

McMaster
15-12-2004, 05:41 PM
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Hay guys....someone is hunting around...!!! :cool: My friend another_one... we're not equal yet "as you said" I don't really think you mean it...The word advice can not be the same term for both singular and plural... check the Second College Edition of "THE AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY" I'ts the most international trusted dictionary and you will find that there must be "S" at the end of the word to indicate the plural, If you don't have that dictionary you can visit this site www.awl-elt.com/dictionaries (http://www.awl-elt.com/dictionaries) and discover the truth...

Anyway, thanks for your remarkable contribution..It made me search through two dictionaries..

Another_One
15-12-2004, 06:16 PM
oooooooooh

thank u brother and i peg ur pardon

NB2
15-12-2004, 06:21 PM
All what read above is more than great,, but we comes here usualy to share our bad and good life experinces not to learn english, if would like to...i'd rather learn it from other sources....sorry guyes....i think the english forum has been created to able the non arab to share or the ppl who can't join other forums as

thire PC is not supported with arabic like mine looool

sorry for my bad english guys and i wish u understand what i wrote up

wellcome Mcmaster between ur friends

NB

faros
15-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Dear btothers,,

Advice is an uncontable noun, we cannot count

Yet, we can say:

My father gave me many pieces of advice

there is no polular for the word (advice

Blueness
17-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Hello MC ^^..and welcome to the English Forum

You'll fit in very nicely:biggthump

Have a pleasant stay http://www.montada.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

McMaster
17-12-2004, 09:21 PM
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Miss, Bluness.... is it the deep ocean talking to me..?? :08: :08: ...thanks for your complimentary essence of sensations