hello can you please explain those sentences in red to me, I really found some difficulties to understand it. thanks for your patient and help with me, thank you very much

The cigar that Bismarck enjoyed without.

Smoking it. Have you ever heard of how prince Bismarck, the eminent German solider and statesman enjoyed a cigar which he didn’t smoke? Here is the story in his own words. " the value of a good cigar is best understood when it is the last you posses, and there is no chance of getting another" koniggratx I had only one cigar left in my pocket which I carefully guarded duering the whole of the battle as a miser guards his treasures. I didn’t feel justified in using it. Painted in glowing colors my mind the happy hours when I should enjoy it after the victory. "but I had miscalculated my chances . a poor dragon lay helpless with both arms crushed, murmuring for something to refresh him. But stay- I had my cherished cigar. I forthwith lighted it, and placed it between his eagerly parted lips. "you should have seen the poor fellow's grateful smile. I never enjoyed a cigar so much as that one which I didn’t smoke".

The brave pilot

A steamship was sailing rapidly across one of the American lakes when the fire suddenly broke out; tar and resin formed part of the cargo, and there was therefore no hope for saving the vessel. There was no boats on board with which to save the passengers, who crowded out of reach of the fire to the forepart of the ship. An old man, who was acting as a pilot, stuck bravely to his post though the wind was sending the flames in that direction. Very soon the after part of the vessel was one mass flame, but still the brave old pilot did his duty. He heard the caption shout "head her for the shore and beach her" which he did, and for twenty minutes worked the ship's helm amid leaping flames and burning timber. The hair was burnt from his head and the skin scorched from his face, but still he help on with a sharp bump the vessel ran ashore but the old man's work was done for he dropped dead just as he gave the wheel its last turn. The passengers and crew were saved thanks to the brave old pilot who laid down his life to save others.
P.S : murmuring for something to refresh him what this verb mean here.