الموضوع: ?Billy Budd: What's Behind the Curtain

التسجيل
    03-11-2011
    الدولة
    Kuwait
    المشاركات

Lightbulb ?Billy Budd: What's Behind the Curtain

! =) Greetings fellowship

.This thread will be a personal "logbook" of Herman Melville's Billy Budd, Sailor

.Melville's best work is Moby Dick. However, Billy Budd, Sailor, doesn't fall short
    !Click here for more info on Herman Melville

The novella is about a young innocent sailor, and his confrontation with the evil within human beings. In this novel, he will interact with a few interesting characters, and in this novel, you will see the light, darkness, and the Chiaroscuro; where light and darkness intertwines
    !Click here to read the novella

?What's so good about it, you ask
    Well, as any form of Literature, this novella reflects ideas, emotions, and messages. However, I personally find it very intriguing because of its characters; they are unique, and realistic.
    Also, you will find a lot of interesting allusions and allegories in this novella; I believe this reflects Melville's mind, and education.

?What's this thread aim
    It's a personal "logbook" of Billy Budd novella, and it's adaptation. It's not supposed to be perfect, or accurate.
    You can discuss the material, and what's related to it.

T a b l e of C o n t e n t s

Figures of Speech

Characters Biography

Themes

Play

Opera

Figures of speech:
    These are few examples of the figures of speech, which I found to be interesting. You can read the novella online, and use the search function to find the quoted examples

A-Anaphora: “A look curious of the operation of his tactics, a look as as might have been...”, the word “look” was repeated to highlight the act itself, which was done by Claggart; his look wasn’t innocent and pure.

B-Allusion: I’ve found many allusions within the novella. And each one was explained in the included notes. I chose this one: “Here he comes; and, by Jove- lugging along his chest- Apollo with his portmanteau!”. This allusion which describes Billy as an Olympian God, reinforces the aura and the characteristics of his, “Beauty, Goodness, Handsomeness”.

C-Aspiration: “Billy was horrified. He resolved that never through remissness would he make himself liable...”. The aspiration made the scene more dramatic. I’ve almost felt the horror of Billy and his heart beats.

D-Allegory: “Billy Ascended; and, ascending, took the full rose of the dawn”. Billy’s hanging and death is an allegory to the Christ’s death, sacrifice and ascension. It shows the resemblance of Billy and Christ in how they did the same act because of their perfect pure nature.

E-Cacophony: ” PASSION, and passion alone in its profoundest is not a thing demanding a palatial stage whereon to play its part.” The line here felt firm and passionate to me. It was bursting and pushing through with burning enthusiasm.

F--Inversion:” And him only he elected”. There is an emphasis here on “him”; that’s why shifting the words order is justified.

G-Litotes: ” Not so difficult”. I thought it was an understatement: It’s not easy, but not difficult.

H-Metaphor: “His wizened face, time-tinted and weather-stained to the complexion of an antique parchment”. This line described the face of the Dansker to me in a unique fashion. This metaphor made me believe that he was a living part of the ship; as if his face was its parchment.

I-Onomatopoeia: ” Playfully tapped him from behind with his rattan”. By the use of the onomatopoeia here, the act of touching Billy was emphasized. I’ve paused to visualize the tap the first time I read it.

J-Oxymoron: “Bitter smile”. A smile is supposed to be sweet, but “bitter” here is negating the effect.

K-Personification: ” The ship... was rolling on her course”. The ship was personified by the use of the subject pronoun “her”. I’ve felt that the ship was considered more than an inanimate object.

L-Synecdoche: “ All hands were called in”. It seemed to me that the focus is set on the hands; it feels as if the hands are more important than the human beings themselves, as if the sailors, are just machines.

<To be continued
    التعديل الأخير تم بواسطة Pathos ; 11-11-2011 الساعة 09:02 PM سبب آخر: Fixing the code

".
    We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings"
    "Playing: Dark Souls / Watching: "Clannad: 2nd Story
    Reading: Silas Marner: The Weaver of Raveloe

التسجيل
    03-11-2011
    الدولة
    Kuwait
    المشاركات

Characters Biographies

A-Billy Budd: Budd’s name reflects youth, and I thought that he was just a normal sailor, albeit handsome and beautiful. But later on, his virtues showed by his interaction with other characters. He appeared innocent and pure in nature; he isn’t the kind to person to hold a grudge. Also, he was called a “peacemaker”, and was described as an Olympian God, and an angel, too. However, despite his outer physical perfection, he had a vocal defect, which brought his demise at the end. Also, despite all his virtues, he was illiterate, and fairly naive. Furthermore, he refused to see the sad cruel reality, or to even admit its existence. It pained me to see that such a pure character dies after committing a crime. But it was ironic, too; because he refused to admit the existence of evil, but right before his doom, he committed an act of evil by striking Claggart wrathfully.

B-John Claggart: Claggart is considered as an allegory to Satan for a reason. I thought at first he was stoic and firm because of his duty as a master of arms. However, he kept trying to get poor Billy into trouble with the help of his Corporal Squeak. Billy was innocent and a very good lad, but Claggart refused to believe that a man could be perfect from the inside and outside as Billy was. I didn’t know why he kept burying his good feelings about Billy. Was he jealous of him? Was he afraid that Billy might bring out the long forgotten good side of Claggart? It seemed to me that Claggart, the fallen angel, doesn’t want to see the beauty of the pure angel that is Billy. Maybe because it reminds him of himself? Maybe reality corrupted him? The fact is, that Claggart only struggled for a little bit with his emotions, then he decided to end Billy once and for all. The ironic thing is, that he thought that Billy was trying to “charm” and corrupt him. In the end, Billy died because of him, and his lies and false accusations. But even after Billy died, he was still revered by his messmates, unlike Claggart, who was disdained more and more. Claggart name is a pun on “clog”, and that he did.

C-Captain FairfaxVere: I couldn’t judge Captain Vere. At first, he appeared as a wise intelligent person. And his background was interesting, too. I’ve felt that he was equal to Billy in a way; both of them were unique and had a heavy character. From what his messmates thought of him, I believed that he was a proud and a vain person at the same time. But, it appeared that he was a very educated person, and thus, very articulated, too. And because he appreciated the goodness and beauty of Billy, I liked him more as a character; it seemed to me he was fair. However, at the end, when Billy’s life was in his hand, he had to choose between Billy and his duty; he then tried to be fair and stoic, so, he chose the ship. And despite the fact Billy’s was pure, innocent and the killing of Claggart was an accident, Captain Vere knew that he can’t make a compromise. And so, he had to sacrifice the life of one man, for many others. Surprisingly, I didn’t hate him because of his verdict. Maybe because Billy supported him till the very end. Also, maybe because despite the verdict, he believed in Billy Budd. Vere is Latin for “Truth”, and Fairfax, is a pun on “Fair Facts”

D-The Dansker: The Dansker seemed as a fatherly figure. He was old, wise and caring. Billy seemed to enjoy his company, and to consult him on every matter. I’ve felt that the Dansker, was the true heart of the ship. He knew everyone, he knew who was good or evil, and he was the man with the most experience on that ship. And when he told Billy to be aware of “Jimmy Legs”, I believed him, and was alerted, too. And as I kept reading, his words proved true.

<To be continued

".

التسجيل
    03-11-2011
    الدولة
    Kuwait
    المشاركات

Themes

A-Good vs Evil: This was the main theme. The conflict between Claggart the Serpent, and Billy Budd the Angel. Claggart was described as Lucifer, Serpent, and his very own actions showed how impure and evil he was. On the other hand, Billy was described as a God, Angel and a peacemaker. He was always good and pure, till he killed Claggart. However, he redeemed himself, by dying with dignity like the Christ.

B-Justice vs Injustice: Despite the fact Claggart was evil, he was a hand of the authority. And the authority is the hand of the earthly justice. Nobody liked him on that ship, except for Billy. And in the end, when Billy was only able to defend himself with a strike, he killed Claggart by an accident, and despite it was an accident, Billy had to die, and Claggart was honored in his funeral.

C-Guilt: This theme is more prominent in the Opera of Billy Budd. Especially with Captain Vere. He kept blaming himself for the death of Billy. Him and his officers also regretted what happened because they knew how innocent and good Billy was.

".

التسجيل
    03-11-2011
    الدولة
    Kuwait
    المشاركات

رد: 3

Play
    "Adaptation"

-When Billy witnesses the flogging for the first time, he gazes at the Rights of Man Ship, which is sailing away. This scene had a cruel message. It’s as if the rights of men doesn’t exist in his new home; it was a very bad omen. The Rights of Man faded away.

-When Vere tries to force discipline, he said that no one crime will go unpunished, whether it’s “High” or “Low”. When he said “High”, he looked at Claggart, and when he said “Low”, he looked at the sailors. He was looking down on everyone, and the same time, it was as if he was saying, “Know your place”.
    -Whenever Billy was stuttering, the music gets intense and his stuttering get the spotlight.
    -Captain Vere gives orders while he is above and observing people who are below. It’s as if he is a god.

Opera
    "Adaptation"

A-Scenes:
    -The characters were singing their inner thoughts and emotions on top of communicating. Furthermore, they kept repeating important key words, or phrases, like, “Beauty, goodness, Handsomeness”; which in this case, emphasis the perfection of Billy.
    -The characters sometimes sings together and their singing intertwines with each other. It feels chaotic. However, it emphasises the conflicts and struggles and reflects the situation. For example, when each officer tries to defend Billy and mention his virtues, while Vere is thinking out loud.
    -The objects like the globe and the candles in Vere’s room, each had a meaning. For example, the globe reflects the authority of Vere, and how is he the king of this “floating monarchy”. As for the three candles, one refers to Billy, which is known as Apollo, and Claggart the Bearer of Light, and Vere, the Gospel.

B-Terms:
    -Captain Vere voice was the “Tenor”, which is the highest male voice in the opera. And its symbol is both water and fire, which represents the conflict within him.
    -Billy Budd voice was the “Baritone” which lies in the middle. It hangs in the middle, like the divine figure of the Christ. Its symbol is air, which is floating and wandering around.
    -Claggart voice was the “Bass” which is the lowest. Its symbol is earth, which is rigid and stoic and that reflect the personality of Claggart.

-Motifs: It’s like a music theme that reflects an act or an emotion. For example, when the sailors are singing while wiping the floor, “Oh heave away, heave! O heave!”, this is called the motif of mutiny. There is also a motif that belongs to Billy’s character; it sounds like a bird twittering, which is a symbol of Billy’s nature. He is the “king of birds,” after all.
    -3D Staging: It’s when the act is described in the text of the play. For example, “the door was shut”.
    -Split focus: The actor is alternating his focus on the audience and his fellow actors. Like Lieutenant Ratcliffe; he looked to the other officers, then stared at the audience and kept alternating.
    Counterpoint: It’s when two melodies intertwines. Like when Billy’s soft sweet melody is played with Claggarts Sharp deep Melody.

".

التسجيل
    03-11-2011
    الدولة
    Kuwait
    المشاركات

=q

Disclaimer: No offense of any kind was intended to any race, religion or belief; this is a pure analysis of a literal work, nothing less, nothing more.

Thank you for reading, or skimming through! LOL

You can discuss the material with us, or you can ask questions if you like.

*Vanishes*

".

التسجيل
    03-11-2011
    الدولة
    Kuwait
    المشاركات

رد: ?Billy Budd: What's Behind the Curtain

Hello again!
    =)

Soon, I'm going to write an analysis about a popular anime. So, stay tuned!

Also, I will try to write few tuturials, and exercises related to English language, and Literature.

Ja ne!
    "Cya"

".

ضوابط المشاركة

• لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
  • لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
  • لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
  • لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك
  •